I'm doing something a little different this week. I'm providing my "raw" game by game comments. The * bold ones with the star * next to them are immediate pick ups and I put (watch) next to the ones that are not ready to pick up, but are getting close. I thought leaving the notes in this one might help you a bit more on my thoughts of guys who are too good to be waiver wire guys so I don't usually talk about them. If you don't have time to read those, just skim to the bold names because those are the guys you can pick up immediately.
Game by Game observations & trends:
D'Qwell Jackson is out for the year. UUUUUHHHHHGGGGG!!!!
(watch) Michael Boley is too inconsistent to trust
* SS Kenny Phillips NYG is working back into football shape and trusting in the healing of his injury. I'm feeling it's time to add him to your roster if you can. He's in one of those schemes like a TJ Ward in CLE and he's got MAJOR athleticism and upside.
trend - DBs do well vs. the Giants (Chicago plays NYG in week 4 CB Z. Bowman CHI or T. Jennings is a nice sneaky play in this one.
* LB James Anderson might be an SLB, but he's out-producing Jon Beason by a good bit so far this year. I picked him up and started him over D. Johnson this week and it worked out well for me.
(watch from a distance) LB Dan Connor clearly is coming out of the game on multiple defensive packages
no brainer observation: LB L. Timmons Pit continues to be a top IDP stud this year. (watch Woodley though. He really broke out at the end of last year and has strong IDP potential)
* LB Quincy Black TB continues to look very good and is a nice pick up if he can be had in your league
observation: SS Patrick Chung NE has been a lot more stud than dud. I'm sticking with him as a stud this year. (Thinking he might pull away from TJ Ward like T. Branch pulled away from L. Delmas last year) I see Chung finishing very similar to Brian Dawkins numbers last year
(watch) SS D. Whitner BUF who came alive this week with 7 solos 3 assists vs. NE. I don't think he's trustworthy enough yet though, but definitely deserves to be watched closely. Also seeing a Bryan Scott sighting again, but I think it's at LB. The Bills linebackers are a mess without Poz.
observation: LB Banta-Cain NE can't be trusted from week to week
observation: LB Ray Lewis BAL continues to disappoint for where he was drafted and what's expected of him. Starting a guy like CAR James Anderson over him next week is not crazy at all.
observation: LB D. Johnson KC (3 solos 2 assists) was outperformed by (watch) ILB J. Belcher (7 solos 3 assists) this week. Something to keep an eye on. It may have just been the direction that SF ran this week.
* LB z. Diles HOU was a stud again
trend: Start ALL Safeties vs. Houston. Sensabaugh for Dallas confirmed this trend this week. He's usually lousy, but his 7 solos confirmed that even lousy guys do well vs. Houston. Next week T. Branch owners can rejoice. Even * FS Michael Huff OAK is a deep sleeper next week vs. Houston if you need a bye week fill in.
observation: LB Greenway MIN is such a stud this year!
trend: LBs get a bump in production vs. MIN (Vikes are on bye next week though)
observation: LB Levy DET was a ghost this week in his 1st game back. Keep this in mind for DQ in CLE next week. I'd keep him on your bench his first game back to feel out how much they play him.
* SS CC Brown DET is a pretty consistent IDPer. He's worth a strong look for your roster if your frustrated with your DB or SS or your guys is on bye
observation: DE Vanden Bosch had 1 tackle this week. Man I hate trying to figure out DL & DEs. 10 tackles 1 week and 1 tackle another week. Gotta love the NFL.
observation: LB Sean Weatherspoon ATL is the real deal!
observation: LB Dunbar SAINTS is an apparition. Don't pick him up based on this weeks stats
* FS Considine Jags Time to add him. He's a solid guy to have on your team and he'll be on the field a lot this year.
(watch) CB Hayden IND got 10 solos and a forced fumble but that's because he was facing Orton who was VERY pass happy this week.
observation: FS Bethea IND is one of the top IDP guys in his position this year.
* LB Paris Lenon ARI is a top 5 IDP LB so far this year. What more can he do to show he deserves to be in our lineups. We better use him while we can. I don't see this lasting all year. He gets SD next week, which is an OK matchup